Tuesday, February 19, 2008

God's Morphine?

Years back, I remember being in a car accident so bad that I was bruised from head to toe with multiple contusions and a concussion to beat all. I was so sad looking the doctor who prescribed the morphine at the release of my trauma center stay offered me a second script upon my return complaining of too much pain. He couldn't even look at me after the initial meet in the office. While he shook his head and turned away, all I could think about was the horrified look of pity on his face. One should never witness this look on the face of a medical professional, especially in a trauma center. Being in recovery for alcohol addiction, I knew the need to extremely careful with any medication that may cause a relapse. All the same, the pain really was very bad. But, the more I thought about it over the years, the more I realize that, all morphine is, is man's feeble attempt at redesigning God's natural physical chemical released by the pituitary gland. It is called endorphins and is the body's way of blocking or masking pain. Now, the reason this revelation is so important to me is that, along with man made chemicals such as morphine, codeine and other pain relieving pharmaceuticals, there is not only the threat of addiction but also the possibility of other side effects, some of which may be of serious consequence. I remember coming to for maybe 1/2 a minute at the most while still in the chopper and about the same amount again when we landed on the roof of the hospital. I remember no pain. I was told that I went in and out of consciousness quite a few times until I finally came to on a hospital bed with my head strapped down and a bunch of doctors and nurses running around me and thinking that I just couldn't think! I didn't know what happened to me. I couldn't figure out why I was there or even where " there " was but I remember no pain at all until almost 2 hours after I came out of shock. Incredible, is it not? They document everything in these places, bless their souls. I didn't think much about it until long after the ordeal was over and I was back to health and then it hit me... It was God's morphine! Physicians call it analgesia. People with nerve diseases to a particular part of the spine often experience this as well. The lack of any sensation of pain. He never ceases to amaze me with the wonderful mechanisms He used in the creation process. While I was in shock, should I also have to suffer inscruciating pain? Obviously, He thought not. Now, if we could just market the natural chemical rather than the man made one, we'd be far better off. I'm no expert but my opinion still counts for something. What doctors need to do is find out what makes the chemical start to work and teach people with chronic pain how to trigger it themselves. Of course, where would us consumers spend all that extra money if it's not in the hands of the medical community? I found an interesting article you may want to read here.
http://www.flowersociety.org/Impatiens-cases.htm
You may also want to research the use of acupressure. Blessings! :)

No comments: